Monday, December 3, 2012

A Member's Perspective


A Member’s Perspective
By Yong Wells

The first time I played golf with Killeen Ladies Golf Association (KLGA) was about five years ago.  It was a very memorable day, but in the negative sense.  On the first hole, (par five, currently #17), I shot eleven and I even made the hole in… That is, the hole in the tree.  My scorecard for that day was more like a toddler’s scribble.  All I could think was,  “These ladies are not going to welcome me back.”

The very first time I took group golf lessons was about 20years ago, but I quit as soon as the lesson was over.  I took 15years long break before I picked up the clubs for a second time.  This time I took private lessons from Stonetree’s PGA Pro and I was ready to take on the challenge of this game.  However, I felt I needed something more than just lessons, I needed the KLGA.

There are many benefits to joining organized group activities.  There are some things only a pro can teach you, but as a golfer one need to know the rules, appropriate manners, etiquette, scorekeeping, handicaps, and everyday golf.  I learned these from the KLGA sisters.  The KLGA members care for each other’s wellbeing on and off the course.  Occasionally we exchange life wisdoms and always have lots of FUN.  We are like sorority sisters with golf clubs.

The city of Killeen is known for it’s well blended cultural society and it shows on the golf course.  There you can find Asians, Europeans, Westerners, Easterners, anybody else, they all have the same thing on their mind while on the golf course.  They all want to be better golfers.

Since that dreadful day that I shot eleven on a par five, I was not only welcomed back on Ladies Play Day, but I became brave enough to participated in many sisterly tournaments in the Heart of Texas Ladies group and The Central Texas Ladies group.  I can even say that on occasion I have won a few prizes.













No comments:

Post a Comment